adventures, mommyhood, disclosure

Wednesday, 3 December 2008

bum in the city

So let's see, on Monday I officially (effortlessly) took on the role of bum. I am enjoying every minute of it - so far - and I'd like to share my recent discoveries about da lyf of da bum in Saigon.

Well for one, being a bum doesn't excuse bad spelling, so let's get that out of the way never to be seen again in this page. Apart from that, my other discoveries involve the main things bums busy themselves with: cafes, salons, shopping and surfing (the internet kind but the water kind is also great - if I lived in La Union. Someday!). Not necessarily in that order.

1) The best lasagna bolognese can be had at Java Cafe on Hai Ba Trung cor Dong Du Street. They also do great and healthy smoothies.

2) The best internet connection is at Mojo Cafe along Dong Khoi street. Seriously, I downloaded 5 episodes of Grey's Anatomy in the 2 hours or so that I was there. Plus a full download of Open office. Love it!

3) The best manicure and pedicure you can ever have is at Jasmine Spa along Ton That Thiep. Nothing beats the mani-pedi they do in Manila, and for the longest time I have been trying to find one that comes close. Now I have and it's in Jasmine. The place has english magazines too (rare) and they put sampaguita in the water where your hands are soaked. Love it!

4) One of my bestest friends is vegetarian and as for me I have been attempting to be one twice a week, so I have been on a veggie mission the past 3 months. This relatively new place called Tib Express is found on Phan Boi Chau street (alongside Ben Thanh Market). They specialize in Central cuisine but there is also a great selection of VV - Vegetarian Vietnamese. My picks: Ban Beo (tiny rice pancakes) and the Cha Gio (spring rolls). They even have a special "fish" sauce which I have found out to be made with vinegar+water+sugar+chilli to mimic the Nuoc Mam (fish sauce and then some) that usually goes with the spring rolls. These 2 dishes are available in the non-vegetarian version too.

5) Still on vegetarian fare, I've been eating Indian food once or twice a week and my top picks are: the butter and cheese nan in Ganesh (Le Thanh Ton street), the Rava Dosa, Onion Pakora and Black (or yellow) Dal in Saigon Indian (Mac Thi Buoi). For non-veg, I love the Mutton Masala in Tandoor (Hai Ba Trung street).

So, R you need to visit me soon!

6) The cheapest hair treatment you can get is at Art Hair in 37 Pham Ngoc Thach. Having your hair colored will only cost you 330,000 VND or roughly 20 USD or about 970 pesos. They use L'Oreal products too and you get free internet (they have computers in line as you sit for your hot oil treatment!), and bottomless fruits and drinks. You just need to be patient enough to wait because the place is full even on a weekday. To my surprise, there are a lot of bums like me in this city, and apparently most of them are in Art Hair!

7) Best Shopping is still Saigon Square, where they basically sell the same stuff all the time. But if you have lots of time in your hands and can afford to leisurely look for not-so-common finds, you will be pleasantly surprised as this place still doesn't disappoint. A stone's throw away is Ben Thanh market, but it's too hot in there in the afternoon so I normally avoid it.

8) The best movie house is called Megastar Cinema and is found inside the Parkson branch in District 5 (also called Hung Vuong Plaza). Reminds me of the nice cinemas in Manila. Popcorns only come on 2 flavors though - caramel and salt. Yes, most people actually order the sweet kind. I miss the cheese or onion & sour cream flavored popcorns at home. Soon!

9) The best way to connect with friends who, unlike you, are still slaving their asses off at work is through YM. Case in point:

My friend, H: Kamusta naman ang buhay bakasyonista?
Me: Masaya! Join me...
H: I wish.

My Uncle, A: Ano bored ka na?
Me: Hindi pa naman masyado.
A: Ok lang yan kasi dito may 1 buwan ka pa para ma-bore. Lol


My former officemate, V: Hey, can you pass by the office again. We retrieved new files from the server.
Me: I'm not sure if I can still pass by, I've too many things to fix before i leave...
(you know like going to the salon again, haha)

And then, there are encounters with bums like yourself too:

My co-bum friend,R: Bored na ako
Me: Ako hindi pa, masaya pala to.
R: That's what you say today. Kalerkey, sana sumagot na ang __ (the co he applied with).

(Can you tell, most of my YM and Saigon friends are gay? Love em!)

10) The best internet site for the bum is Facebook. Change your status message every few minutes. Post a note. Comment on your friends' love lives. Comment on your pictures last weekend. Tag your friends. Become a fan. I'm a fan. Go FB, you save lives of bums like me.

The best life, right now is that of a bum. Until real life beckons and the bum turns into a corporate chick/dude again. But the memories of the bum days will always be there, ready to be relived again.

1 comments:

risa said...

where do i begin? good food, fab hair & great shopping - plus the time do it all leisurely. congratulations! ang bilis pa mag download ng show. kalerkey (i think that'll be my new FB status)!