This post is a week overdue and I blame it all on the crazy week that was. It was a like a series of unfortunate events starting Monday, the details of which I will not even share. It was only Tuesday when it seemed it couldn't get any worse when Heath Ledger died. Talented, young, and it has to be said - hot - it is a tragedy reminiscent of James Dean (according to R), or Rico Yan (according to me). But really, that was a downer - of course i didn't know him but with the week that was, having someone die that young, really got to me. Actually, anyone dying young or old gets to me. Some other trivial things happened like the stock market almost crashed along with the wavering US economy (It's the war, stupid! I always think) and Obama and Hilary had a slugfest in the Democratic debates. And news back home? I'm sure its dreary but my week was so bad I didn't even have time to check inq.net! On Wednesday one of my staff got into an accident and I had to make arrangements to bring her to the hospital. My boss is actually thinking of having "some sort of blessing by feng shui or a monk" in our office because too many bad things have happened lately. Well I didn't know feng shui was "some sort of blessing", and I didn't know if she was counting the Heath tragedy in, but well whatever ticks her fancy - she's the boss anyway (suffice it to say I wasn't very fond of her in the week that passed too). But that's done. Over with. The start of the week wasn't so bad actually. In fact it was great. Hint?
Sunday, January 20 was Unite 08, a Tiger beer event where, well, beer flowed and well, rock music rocked the house. Headlining the event was an "obscure" band from New Jersey called My Chemical Romance. Yes, My Chemical Romance was in Saigon!!!! We scored sweet, free tickets and along with our friends S,A, B, J, E, and my new friend, A. L and I trooped to the stadium in Tan Binh district, near the airport to watch the show. A few days before, S & A actually stalked the band - attending the meet-and-greet and having their t-shirts signed ala fangirl+fanboy. They even had a paparazzi-like shot of Gerard having a cig in his hotel...
It was a great, super fun event. I mean, how often do rock bands go to Vietnam??? According to the band, "We might be wrong, but they say we're the first rock band here in 30 years. But you know what? It f*cking doesn't matter!" And how often do you get tickets for FREE? Like, never? It was great to see the Vietnamese rocking it out too. Some white boys and girls were there of course (of the 14-year old variety, mostly). When the entrance riffs of "I Don't Love You" started to play, the crowd went wild and pretty soon everyone was singing, "I don't love you, like I love you yesterdayyyyyyyy!". How very emo di ba? But the band rejects the emo title saying "Emo is a pile of shit" and wants to be called simply a rock band. Which they are, emo lyrics and all, hehe. Here are more pics:


So really, I can't complain of the not-so-great week that was. It started out right, with a rock band and all. And it ended right too - we met with I who was here for a few days for some quality bonding time. And we also met with M's mom + her amigas who were also visiting Saigon. In the weekend, we chilled and got over the stress of the week before (but not Heath's death just yet). And today, it's a Monday again. But I'm starting it right here in Ciao Cafe writing my blog and drinking (and getting tipsy already) and waiting for L. Life is sweet. We have to try make it that way don't we?
2 comments:
nothing like rock concerts & nice tipsy mondays, eh? here's to more of that this year ;) sobra ka na if you can score free tix to the police & incubus...
hoy jordan, ang ganda ng blouse mo na pink. ano ba yan, blouse o dress? basta maganda.
haaay monday na naman. im having the monday morning funk. but yeah, life is sweet. :-)
Post a Comment