adventures, mommyhood, disclosure

Monday, 17 December 2007

putting the helm in helmet

I had a first today, or so I think.

Dec 15, apart from it being one of my bestfriends, Risa's birthday was also the the day when Vietnam saw the full force of the Helmet law. A few months back, Vietnam's governmet passed the Helmet law, first applying only to government officials. To give everyone enough time to purchase their equipment, they announced the December 15, 2007 will be D-Day. On that day, everyone - driver or passenger, gov't official or not (rich or poor, young and old!) found riding on the streets of Vietnam are required to wear a helmet, otherwise it's a 100,000 -200,000 VND penalty. And you could be fined as many times on the street if you are caught.

Thus, helmets, they're the new fab fashion accessory!

So today I got on Son's bike and wore a helmet. For the first time in my life (or maybe I wore it during one of those DWTL activities?). I don't really remember. But today was the first time at least that I wore on the street and on a bike. In short, I wore it for its real purpose. :) It was weird - I've worn a hat of course, even a hard hat but a helmet is something else. It feels too heavy on your head and it makes you sweat faster because of the padding. But that's just me complaining. I think the helmet law is a great thing, what with all the street accidents happening on these streets everyday. I'd take anything that could preserve your brain from frying on the pavement(ok, too graphic) anytime over, well, the "comfort" of your hair flying freely all over the place.

Dec 15,2007. Mark that day in history: the day the helmet helmed Saigon's streets into a safer place (hopefully) . For hygenic purposes, I'm getting my own and I'm getting it in pink. At least if I'm getting helmet hair, I'm getting it in style.

I pray that it suits me, I hate bad hair days. Among other things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

when i was in saigon a few months ago, i remember wondering why there were so many people in bikes and no one in helmets. after having a friend and workmate of mine get into a motorcycle incident that almost cost her her life, i feel quite strongly about motorcycle road safety. kaya tama lang yon.

but wow, pink helmets! go go. more power. :) hehe.

risa said...

yeah, life is hard enough without worrying about hat and helmet hair! but i know you can pull it off. cherva! ;)