adventures, mommyhood, disclosure

Sunday, 19 August 2007

Vietnam Idol!

Thursday afternoon, my friend C IMs me that she scored two tickets to Vietnam Idol and if I wanted to go that night. I figured it would be an experience to talk (and blog) about and well, C's company is always great. R, fresh from her vindication about our Mekong Delta trip also pointed out something about being negative without trying it first. So off to Vietnam Idol it was that night, di bale na that it was in District 10, a good 45 minutes away from home.

There were 8 contestants left and they all sang in Vietnamese (they say sometimes English songs are sung, but not on that night). They also showed videos of the "idols" when they were having their photo shoots. I have to say, their poses are really quite funny (with matching swiveling turns and electric fan to achieve the windblown look). I didn't think we'd be able to judge if a person's vpice was good if they sang in a different language, but we were able to. It was quite evident who sang well and who just had the "idol look". Besides, we also took our cue from the audience: when they laughed we laughed, when they clapped we clapped, you get the point.



The verdict? We liked two singers; one's voice was jazzy and deep and the other one just stood out because she had personality and showmanship - and she looked like Elizabeth Ramsey (no kidding!). I'm personally rooting for the Ina ni Jaya lookalike. I really hope she makes it. Ching and I agreed that if she makes it, Vietnam would be on their way to a change. Out with the fair skinned look, in with the exotic beauty! Out with tradition, in with innovation! Perhaps we were pinning our hopes too much on Vietnam Idol to change society. Haha.

The judges looked so dedma, and whether they praised or okrayed the candidate their faces looked the same. Oh well, at least I could say that when I was in Vietnam I got to see Vietnam Idol. It was great bonding with Ching too after she lost her mom. Great to know she has not lost her spirit and resilience. And I learned one thing from her when she was talking about her "almost lowest low" - when we encounter bothersome events in our daily lives (like traffic, annoying officemates, slow internet connection etc.) you can just simply shrug and say, "Well, there are worst things in life!" Great attitude from a great friend.

2 comments:

risa said...

funny lost expats watching vietnam idol ;) i'm sure you would've given an arm and a leg to be watching wowowee instead

Anonymous said...

bkt antagal mo magupdate ng blog? haha demanding. :D